Monday, August 21, 2017

I LOVE This Sport


On Saturday I competed in my sixth powerlifting meet. The USA Powerlifting Northeast Regional Championships in Marlborough, MA. What a weekend.

The weekend started with a road trip with two good friends. Eric and Nikki joined me as support/cheerleaders/voices of reason. I opted to ride in the back seat of Eric's truck so he would have someone to talk to while I dozed. They chatted and the times I surfaced from sleep it sounded like they were having a good time. I admire Nikki's ability to talk to people. She makes it seem so effortless and easy. I can talk to people, I do talk to people, but I am much better at writing. If I can put the words down on paper or in a word processing document I can edit out the typos and delete the things that sound ridiculous. Ah well, we all have our strengths and conversation is not one of mine.

We made a stop at Dick's Sporting Goods in Concord, NH so I could buy knee sleeves. I got some Rehband Blue Line sleeves. I LOVE them, they were easy to get on and offered good support. Not as much as my STrong knee sleeves, but those weren't on the IPF approved list so I wasn't going to be able to wear them at the meet. Just in case you decide you would like a set of rehband knee sleeves they are sold singly, so you will need to buy two. A fact I discovered, luckily before we pulled out of the parking lot.

The hotel was nice and the meet was right in the hotel. At first I thought that would make the nerves worse, but given my ability to work myself up over nothing it didn't really matter.

I dozed Friday night, spent some time staring at the ceiling and thanks to my water consumption spent a good deal of time navigating a dark room to the bathroom and back to the bed, hoping I wasn't waking Eric or Nikki.

Weigh in was nice: I met a friend there. She was a judge at my first meets with Vermont Powerlifting and I was so glad to see her again. We warmed up together at the meet in St. Albans and having someone I knew there, someone else who thought I belonged right where I was helped settle my nerves. I stepped on the scale, gave my opening attempts as well as my rack heights for squat and bench and changed into my singlet.

Ah, the singlet...my very least favorite apparel ever. I read once that the powers that be in powerlifting must have sat around discussing what outfit they could choose that would be the least flattering for the maximum number of people. The singlet does that job nicely. I'm not sure how a piece of clothing can ride up and slip down all at the same time, but that's the magic of singlets. Then there is its ability to show every lump, bump, bulge and roll. I love powerlifting, so I've forced myself to adjust, but I still want to pull on my Pride sweatshirt and hide in that every chance I get.

The warm up room was its usual chaos when I went in, but I found a rack and warmed up for the squats. I would like to add that I warmed up WAY too early. Dane had warned me about that, but did I listen. Apparently no I did not. I was warmed up and raring to go about 45 minutes before I had anything to do. Live and learn. So I wandered around and almost walked right past Dane and Jen who were standing right outside the warm up room. Yeah, I'm still the super observant one. Anxious as can be and still almost walked right past my coach. Nice, huh? Neither he nor Jen seemed offended at least and I got more hugs.

On to the meet...or I'll ramble on for days.

Squats were first. The beast was already awake and she was eager to play. She was a little too eager as it turns out: I didn't quite get to full lockout on my first squat. At least I got the proper depth...the lockout problem will be much easier to fix. My second squat was a good lift: YES. Squat 3 was kind of a mess from the start.

I am usually a stickler for being sure the bar is centered (or as close as I can get it) in the rack. I didn't even check that this time and I should have...the bar was in no way centered. I backed out of the rack with it wobbling and got it stable enough to squat, but I shuffled my feet. As soon as I did I knew I'd blown it. I completed the squat and other than that shuffle it was a good squat, but it still didn't count. I am still proud of my squats: 297 pounds is awesome.

On to bench press. I got my first two presses: 165 and 181 felt good. Coach D suggested trying for a new bench PR: 214 pounds. I tried, but still didn't get it. That's okay though: I will have 214 pounds sooner rather than later.

Then it was time for the lift I love most: deadlift. My favorite lift and also the one I have had the most trouble with lately. I am getting better at a complete lockout, but still not perfect. As was in full evidence on Saturday. I got my first deadlift: 369 pounds. Two and three came off the floor very smoothly, but the lockout got me. I'm strong enough to do it, but I need to perfect the lockout.

I didn't set any PRs this weekend. I am proud of what I did though. Not satisfied, but proud. This meet was the biggest one I have ever been a part of. There were two platforms, and many more competitors than I've competed with. I didn't fall apart. I got sick after I ate, but that just seems to be a part of the experience at this point.

I brought home hardware. When I entered the meet I entered the Open division (all ages) and the Masters 1 division (ages 40-49). I took second place in Masters for my weight class and third place in the Open division for my weight class. My total was 848, as I said before no PR's but a total that makes me proud.

It was a wonderful weekend. I missed Hailey, Sylvie, Carole,  Lyndsay, Barry, Pat, Jamie and Gregg, but Eric and Nikki kept me grounded, smiling and laughing. Jackie and Eileen were there as well making me laugh and feel like I belonged. Coach D was his usual calm self and Jen did her best to pump me up. I love these people: I can't thank them enough for giving up their time and their weekend to support my crazy passion. And to Hannah: thank you for talking with me, it made the morning seem so much more normal. You rocked it at this meet and you are so inspiring to me. Also Marianne, who let me borrow her belt: thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've read many times that powerlifting is for the most part a friendly sport and people go out of their way to help each other: I was certainly on the receiving end of that friendliness and helpfulness this weekend and I will endeavor to pay it forward at my next meet and every other chance I get.

Yes, there will definitely be a next meet, and one after that. I love powerlifting. I have found my niche and my purpose. First though there will be a break. Not sure how long a break, but I assure you one that is longer than six weeks. I am tired. I left everything I had to give on the platform Saturday. I don't for one second regret that, but I am actually resting without complaint. I've earned it and I know I need it. Maybe you truly can teach an old dog new tricks. I am sure by Thursday or Friday there will be an itch to get back to Pride, but for the moment I am content to spend time relaxing.





My hardware. Someone pinch me, this doesn't seem real.




Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment