Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Time flies...

It's been awhile again. Life keeps pulling me forward and the things I don't schedule in just don't seem to be happening. My new job is providing a vertical learning curve that leaves me reeling most days. I workout, work and that's about all I have to give.

I am keeping up with my exercise and am beginning to run again after some really sore piriformis muscles convinced me I would never be a runner and I should quit while I was ahead. I may never be the best runner, but I can be a runner and that's enough.


I just returned from a weekend on Staten Island with a dear friend. It was sobering to see the damage left behind in Sandy's wake. I had a wonderful time, many laughs and some great shopping. It was heartening to see people pulling together to meet needs and give to others. Not for fame or recognition, but because it was the right thing to do.

On Monday, December 3 I had an experience that was humbling to say the least. I was nominated for Camper of the Year at Ben's Bootcamp. The nomination was such an honor, but what was written about me was truly humbling. I still cry when I read it...and if someone else reads it forget it: I'm a wreck. All I can say is thank you Ben, what you wrote may well be true, but it's only because my instructors believed in me when I didn't have the confidence or courage to believe in myself.

When I started on this journey I had no idea what to expect. I wasn't sure it was worth it to improve my health and I wasn't sure I really cared. The small spark of hope lived inside me and it wanted better than constant tiredness and feeling down. I figured I had nothing to lose when I applied to the Biggest MOOser contest. When I was chosen as a semi-finalist that little spark flared up and I WANTED to be one of the finalists. Thanks again to every person who took time out of their lives to vote for me and make sure I got an incredible opportunity.

As I kept working out the effort I put in to make my instructors and friends proud changed into wanting to make myself proud. The body I once loathed was showing me just how strong it could be. Now I do what I do for myself. For peace of mind, for health, for happiness and for the sheer joy of doing things I would have considered impossible almost a year ago.

So now I am one of six nominees for Camper of the Year. I read the other bios on the competition and I am humbled all over again. I know two of the nominees quite well since I have been working out with them in Derby. The other three are from the Lyndonville studio and incredibly impressive as well. I would love to be Camper of the Year, I won't lie or hide that, but it truly was an honor just to be nominated.

Now I'm planning ahead for a New Year that promises to be amazing. Starting with a half-marathon and girl's weekend in February. In August I am going to cross one item off my bucket list: I will be competing in Tough Mudder. I am scared, excited and more than a little shocked that I am really going to do this. I'm sure the nerves will increase, but I have some amazing friends who will be beside me encouraging me and competing right along with me.

I hope you'll come along for the ride. It promises to be amazing trip. I'll try to be better about writing. The vertical learning curve I'm on HAS to ease up sometime, right? I won't always feel like I am over my head and treading water in a pool full of alligators.

Back to your evening and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment