Monday, December 31, 2018

For my Circle

As 2018 winds down I feel the need to write again. Not to reflect on the year I've done that. Instead I want to take time to recognize and thank people who have had an impact in my life.

My mom, Carol Power. You might not ever want to be in the audience to see me powerlift, but you encourage me to go for it and you are one of the first to like videos of me lifting as soon as they are posted. You are willing to watch Abbey, Eeyore, Gizmo for me so I can compete. You have taught me to be myself no matter what.

My sister, Colleen Nutting. You cheer as hard as anyone for me. You have good advice and you make everything more fun. Shopping trips just aren't the same without you. They say having a sister is having a forever friend and it is so true.

Coach Tyler. There aren't words, really there aren't. You've been working with me since 2014. I trust you like no one else. You've seen me struggle and fail and never made me feel like I am not worthy of your expertise and time. You've shown me a side of myself I didn't know existed. You've introduced me to people who have helped shape a part of my journey, but you've always been there. You've cared enough to be honest and real with me and put it all on the line. You remind me that I don't need to be perfect: I need to give my all and that is all you expect.

Coach Brandon. You've been working with me for about a year now. I can't thank you enough for your belief in me. When I walk into the gym thinking I don't have a heavy lift in me you prove me wrong. When I get disgusted and frustrated with my bench press you remind me of the progress I've made and continue to make.

Hailey. I honestly don't know where I'd be without you. I met you in 2012 when I was just starting this journey and you've been such a key part of my life since. If not for you there would not be "Team Kim" shirts and my trips to competitions wouldn't be nearly as fun or comfortable. You inspire me with your kindness, intelligence and perseverance. In my darkest moments you've been there not judging or expecting anything from me, just reminding me in your wonderful, gentle way that I do matter. Let's not forget the times your lion comes out and you get upset in my stead. Thanks to you I discovered what I need to improve to make my dealifts USAPL worthy. Love you my friend.

Eric. We've come a long way from Hillside Elementary. I cannot imagine this journey without you. You are one hundred percent, unapologetically, you all the time You inspire me to be better. I aspire to be as self-confident and kind as you are.

Nikki you are one of my biggest inspirations and one of my biggest fans. Watching you pursue your dream of a college degree has inspired me to never quit on myself. I appreciate your support, kindness, and friendship so much. You are one of the best people I have been blessed to meet on this journey.

Tara. You have so much grace, class and kindness. You have taught me to smile in the face of adversity and maintain a positive attitude no matter what. Your smile, friendship, and kind words have given me the courage to step outside my comfort zone and be open instead of retreating behind my walls.

Carole. You have been my partner in countless workouts and small group training. You always inspire me to do better and try harder.

Hannah. I have had the great pleasure of competing with you, having my lifts judged by you, and getting support from you. Thank you so so much for your time and kindness.

Cassie. I didn't think you liked me when we first met. You've become someone I look forward to seeing and spending time with. You are part of my work family and I value your advice and input so much. It is so wonderful to have you in my circle. I am so glad I returned to McDs so I could work with you again. Yes I have doubts, I don't feel I know nearly enough for the title I now have, but with your help I'm learning.

Sylvie. My wise, wonderful friend. You give such good advice and insight into things. You challenge me not to get stuck in the negative to always look for the other side. Thank you for being a part of my life even as you forge ahead in your new life. I wish you were closer, but I know you are only an email or call away if I need you.

Jackie. You are my inspiration. Despite some hurdles and obstacles that might stop some in their tracks you keep going. You inspire me beyond measure. Change has always scared me, but watching you accept change with humor and grace I feel compelled to be as brave as you. Thank you for your support and cheering in every facet of my crazy life.

Karla. Lady, you are my inspiration and my push to be the best I can be. Your journey inspires me to never give up hope and never, never quit. Thank you.

Brad. I am very lucky to have had the chance to work with you for the brief time I did. You challenged me and made me think about my level of commitment. You helped me realize powerlifting isn't something I want until it is hard or inconvenient it is something I want no matter what.

To each of you I have mentioned and many more I have not: THANK YOU. You have made 2018 unforgettable. When I have had dark times and I wonder if I can keep going each of you has made me realize there is no other choice. Life is wonderful and precious even when it looks impossible on the surface. I treasure each and every one of you so much.

To the ones who are no longer a part of my journey I'd like to say think you for the lessons you taught me. I wish you nothing but the best as we continue on our separate ways.

2018 has been an amazing year full of change and challenge. I am looking forward to 2019 and everything it has to offer.

Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment