Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Game

A little more than four and a half weeks out from my next powerlifting meet. I've continued training in the time since the NH State Championships, but it's been more discipline and knowing I HAD to than feeling joy in getting to do what I love.

Make no mistake: I love to lift heavy things. I love pushing, pulling and squatting. It bothered me that I wasn't loving those things as much as usual recently. Maybe the motivation wasn't there, but the discipline was so I got the work done.

A tight IT band attachment, QL, and piriformis on my right side have been a minor irritation for a couple of weeks now. I am getting the work done, focusing on technique and form, fixing every flaw I can. Maybe not going as heavy as ordered, but for the moment I think playing it safe and nailing down my technique is warranted.

There has been a lot of work on my conditioning with long rows, I'm up to 2500m now and not a gold star in sight. For those of you who know why the rowers at Pride are sometimes referred to as the "gold star machines" you understand how monumental that is. I asked for the conditioning work: during the NH meet all I wanted when it was time to deadlift was to take a nap. The deadlift is my favorite lift, I wanted to see if all the work that had been done perfecting my lockout and developing my speed had paid off, but even more than that I wanted desperately to curl up and sleep.

Another part of my training has been working on my upper back, shoulders and arms. I want a bigger deadlift and I damn sure want a bigger bench so as hard as the work is I am all for it. Whatever it takes I am in this for the long haul.

I came to a realization after the last meet: I love this sport. It's not the fist bumps, high fives, "atta girls", hugs, or  "I'm proud of you's" that keep me going. Don't misunderstand, I LOVE the praise, I am appreciative and grateful to everyone who supports me in my quest to see just how far I can go in powerlifting. I am thrilled by and proud of the medals and trophies I have brought home.

All of it is wonderful and quite heady for someone who 6 years ago could never have imagined anything like this when she sidled through the door at Ben's Bootcamp.

I discovered after my last meet that as much as I appreciate the support and the accolades that isn't why I step onto the platform.

When I walk onto the platform with my "business face" on I am not thinking of fame, I am not hoping for attention. The only thing I am thinking is how much I LOVE powerlifting. I am nervous, anxious and so incredibly happy to have the opportunity to be able to do what I do.

As a line of the song "The Champion" says "I don't do it for the fame. I do it for the love of the game."

Maybe that makes me an inspiration, I still don't understand that part of it and I don't think I ever will. I can't fathom how my story could inspire anyone and that's just fine. I do what I do for the love of it, not for any gain.  Whatever it takes I only want to keep stepping on the platform as long as I am able. 

I have two upcoming opportunities to do what I love if any of you reading are interested in seeing what powerlifting is. There will be some truly amazing lifters at both events.

June 30: USAPL VT State Championships in St. Albans, VT
August 18: USAPL Northeast Regional Championships at Mohegan Sun in CT

If you are interested you can contact me for more details.                                                                                                                                                         

Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment