Sunday, February 2, 2014

When I Grow Up

When I grow up I want to lift heavy. Oh wait, I do that now. Does that mean I've grown up? I doubt it, but it's possible that the number of years I've been on earth qualify me as a grown up.

How old am I? Supposedly it's not polite to ask a lady that question, but since I've never claimed I was a lady I'll tell you. I am 43, I'll be 44 near the end of March. I love it when people tell me I don't look 43. Can someone tell me what 43 looks like though?  Not that it matters, I am in the best shape of my life and having more fun than I had in my first 42 years here.

It was a good week for exercise. I did miss yogalaties again this week, a fact that sets my teeth on edge when I remember why, but we won't talk about it. I'd hate for you to waste your time reading my rant about condescending people who think some letters after their name makes them the be-all, end-all. I'll deal with that particular person in my time in my own way. All I'll say on the matter is I strive to be professional, flexible and accommodating, but if you back me into a corner I will come out swinging. Enough said.

I've had some interesting conversations with friends this week too. As happy as I am being single there are times it might be nice to have someone to share my hopes and dreams with. I can share with all of you who take the time to read this blog, but a friend pointed out to me that I deserve to share my life with someone, that it's much sweeter that way. I do know from the whole online dating ridiculousness, that actively looking for someone won't work. I obsess much too easily and want to turn myself into someone another person would want. What I need to do is be ME and the right person will be interested. If not, no biggie, I know I can be alone and live a full, happy life.

My mentor has instituted a great concept that I'm going to borrow. I'm sure he won't mind and if he does he will find some suitable way to torment me (rope climbs, valslide army crawls....the list is pretty long). He has encouraged his clients to think back over their day and post their "win of the day". He posts one as well. It's a great way to stay focused on the positive...and I often need the reminder to keep positive.

I'd like to borrow the concept and twist it for my purposes. I want to have my "fitness win of the week".

This week will be hard. There were so many great moments, but my win of the week occurred Friday morning at about 6 am.

Friday morning's workout was a 40:20 format. 40 seconds of work/ 20 seconds to transition within a station. The station my partner and I were at was farmer carrys and kettlebell high pulls. Farmer carrys involve picking up 2 kettlebells and walking around (usually well past the time you are sure your arms are going to fall off). I was carrying the black and gold kettlebells and my partner was using the trap bar with 175 pounds on it. We were trading off, taking turns with the trap bar since the crosshatched grips seem to be there to chew the skin off your hands more than to provide any comfort.

I noticed the instructor, Tyler, adding some white kettlebells to the trap bar while I was trying to think about something pleasant during my kb high pulls (my arms falling off for instance). When that round was over he grinned and asked me if I wanted to try the trap bar. I thought about saying no for maybe half a second, then I said "sure" figuring if worse came to worse I could drop the bar or tip each end enough to dump the white kettlebells off. I got the bar off the floor and started walking, slowly. Seriously, a turtle could have beaten me at that point. Tyler did need to readjust the white kettlebells once so they wouldn't fall off, but I did my 40 seconds.

When it was over he told me I'd just carried about 265 pounds. Yep, I was hooked at that point. What can I say: I LOVE lifting heavy. It's addicting to see how strong you can be, at least for me. I'd have to say it's a better addiction than my addiction to chocolate.

To end this entry I'd like to share a picture for those of you who might not be on Facebook. It was taken during the Fortitude Fitness Systems photoshoot by the super-talented Bob Jenks. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the picture (I wrote about that last week). Now I've decided I LOVE it. I look strong and determined and I am both of those things, it's time for the rest of the world to see it. For the record, the tire weighed between 520 and 550 pounds, Ben wasn't sure on the exact weight. All I know was it was heavy and I cannot wait to flip it over, then flip it again.


Enjoy your day and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment