Sunday, November 20, 2016

Almost Pretty

If you are a friend of mine on Facebook you've seen the post I wrote on Friday about a remark someone decided to make to me on Thursday. If for some reason you missed it a person I don't know well and don't particularly like told me that I would be almost pretty if I lost 80 more pounds.

Had I not been with one of my students I might have had quite a bit to say about that particular comment. I can guarantee that almost none of it would have been appropriate. Due to the presence of children and that fact that I believe it is my job to be a good role model for students I smiled and walked away.

I'd like to be able to tell you it didn't bother me at all. I could tell you that, but I might as well be honest. It pissed me off and it hurt my feelings. I was a bear the rest of that day. When I got to Buddy Training I was beyond angry. Good thing there was 12 minutes of prowler rows and pushes or I might have snapped. I pulled that sled with everything I had and a couple of times the front end came up off the floor, but I was still furious. There were back squats, 2 warm up sets of 10 each and then four rounds of 20 reps with 85 pounds. I focused on my form and tried to push the comment out of my head. Then the finisher, 3 miles on the bike with a band around my knees. I don't love the bike, but normally it doesn't make me contemplate homicide. Coach Dane came over to see how my buddy and I were doing when I'd reached about 2 miles. She was friendly to him. I glared and told him to just walk away. I don't think he took it personally, he was laughing as he walked away, but it bothered me to be so mean. That's just not me.

Later that night I did message Coach D and ask him if he can help me develop a whole new body in 2017. I told him why as well. He told me that was a ridiculous comment but agreed with "Let's do it". I also told my buddy because I was really hoping I would be able to let it go.

It didn't work out that way and when I walked into Pride Friday morning I was tired and loaded for bear. The beast was raging and all I wanted to do was step behind a loaded bar and lift the shit out of it ( "Lift the shit out of the bar" has to be one of my all time favorite Coach D quotes) and I did my best while we were deadlifting. The deadlifts and heavy prowler pushes during the strength portion of the workout soothed the beast enough for me to maintain some semblance of control.

Then I got to work Friday and I was through. I was done trying to pretend those words didn't sting and that I wasn't completely pissed off so I composed my post.

The response to that post was gratifying and a little overwhelming. I just wanted to unload the anger, but I guess it struck a chord with many other people as well. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to that post: I appreciate the offers of hip checks, wrestling boots to the face and reminders that the person who said that has a right to her opinion, but it has no bearing on my life.

I'm putting that comment to rest once and for all tonight. It has taken up space in my mind for too long.

To Whom It May Concern:

Let's get one thing straight from the start: I KNOW I AM STILL FAT ACCORDING TO SOCIETY'S  STANDARDS. I can do something about that. Your bad manners and lack of tact might be much harder to fix.

You seemed very interested in numbers so let me share a few with you.

Since I started this journey I have lost a total of 82 pounds.

I have some other numbers that make me even more proud and I'll share those as well. Not because I need to "toot my own horn" but because these numbers mean a great deal to me.

Deadlift: 413.36 pounds
Bench Press: 209.44 pounds
Squat: 303.13 pounds

Three Lift Total: 925.93 pounds. I am 46 years old I have that total and I am NOT done yet. Just ponder that for a moment.

I can also flip the 525 pound tire and push the prowler with a couple of coaches, a couple of 45 pound plates and some kettle bells on it.

Those numbers mean more to me than a number on a scale ever could.

As for "almost pretty". Excuse my vulgarity, but Bitch please. I don't care if you think I'm pretty or not. I don't strive to be pretty. I never have, I never will.

Let me tell you what I do strive for:

1. I strive to be strong: I work hard to be better and stronger. I have changed my lifestyle, I have changed a training schedule I was quite comfortable with so I could improve my strength. I will be strong because I have been weak and afraid. I love what I do and I will do it until they kick me out of Pride.

2. I strive to be kind: My grandmother told me growing up that "pretty is as pretty does". I don't want to have a face and body that look good and be ugly inside. I want to be me. I want to do simple little things for the people I care about because I can. I want to smile and be polite to all I meet, even those who insult me. Even you.

3. I strive to make a positive difference: I want to do my small part to make it possible for people to discover the joy of working out and transforming their lives if that is what they desire. I want to contribute to helping people reach their dreams if it is within my power. I want to pay forward the kindness shown to me.

Would it be nice to be pretty? Maybe, but if I had the choice of being pretty and it meant I would lose all the qualities that are important to me it wouldn't even be a choice.

I choose to be ME and if that is unacceptable and repulsive in your world then so be it. I do not need to be a part of your world. You will be welcome in mine should you wish to keep your nastiness and negativity to yourself. I won't hold a grudge. I won't hate you. I don't want revenge I feel sorry for you. I am surrounded by people who care about me and support me for who I am. People who seem genuinely happy when I am around and seek to include me in their plans. I hope you have that as well but I suspect, based on your words, that you do not. I am sad for you, but I will not let your words destroy me and all I have worked so hard for.

I have plans and goals for 2017. Perhaps they won't all come to fruition, but I am going to give them a 100% run and see how far I can go.

Respectfully,
Me.

For every person who left a comment or response to my post Friday: thank you. To those who talked to me in person: thank you. Each and every one of you mean the world to me and your support has been heartwarming.

Now get back to your day. I'm stepping off my soap box and putting this incident to rest. It was a blip in my journey and I think I handled it well. It was noise that will fuel my quest for PRs and my determination to reach my goals. I will use it to make me better, it will not diminish me.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment