Saturday, January 23, 2016

Randomness


It's been a good week.

I had a four-day work week this week so I was able to make it to both Yoga Corr classes. I did most of my normal classes. No Saturday Morning Sweat this week. Still working on balance and making sure my workouts don't overshadow time for recovery.

I ALMOST got up the rope during buddy training. I stood on the second knot and I'm pretty sure if I get my feet on the third knot I can reach that cowbell. I had the third knot between my knees and I could just about reach the cowbell. If I don't get it next week I'll be on the rower going for 2000 meters. The sad fact is, even if I get up the rope I'm going to be on that rower soon seeing how long it takes me to get 2000 meters.

You might remember that one of my goals for 2016 was to get 2000 meters under 9 minutes. I want to know what misfiring little brain cell made me decide that goal was a good idea. Really?? I need an editor.

I had an interesting moment with a student Friday afternoon. She was noticing the key chain on my lanyard, a tiny dumbbell with a tag that says "I Choose Strength". She asked why I had it and I told her it was a Christmas present from my sister. She nodded and said "Yeah, but why?" I told her it was because I lift weights. She looked a little surprised at that and pondered the idea for a few minutes.

Then the fateful words "But you don't LOOK like a weightlifter."

I smiled and said "Well I am."  because there wasn't time for a complete interrogation since her bus had been called.

You KNOW I didn't let those words go though, You KNOW I spent most of last night and much of today turning those words over in my mind wondering what that child meant. I bet you can even guess what my first thought was.

You got it: I don't look like a weightlifter because I am fat.

She could just has easily have meant I didn't look like I lifted weights because I wasn't a man or I wasn't all muscle, but no I jumped immediately to "I'm fat".

The fact is the reason for her comment doesn't matter. What matters is what that one comment uncovered about me and my thoughts.

Nope, I'm still not a super model. I'm never, never going to be a super model. I am going to be the best me I can be. For now that means focusing on my training and making sure I give everything I have to give every time I walk through the door. That is all I can do and that is enough.

I found my first powerlifting meet for 2016. Master's and Women's National Championship on April 2nd at Crossfit Burlington. It will be run by Vermont Powerlifting and starts at 4 pm. It will be the same venue and the same organizers as my first meet. Let's see if I can avoid looking like I'm scared out of my mind. In case you need a visual this is me just before my first squat:



Tyler and Dane look ready and downright formidable. I look like I'm looking for the exit or wondering if I can run fast enough that neither one of them will be able to catch me before I hit the parking lot. For the record if I could have evaded them (doubtful) there were all the other people there to support me who would have stopped me.

I am looking forward to see what I can do in my second meet. Whether there is hardware to bring home or not I am excited to do it all again.

I know I can squat, press and pull and I am finally at a place in my life where I want other people to see that as well. My coaches and friends know what I can do and I'm ready for everyone else to see it too.

Four years ago on this date I was chosen as one of the 4 "Biggest Mooser" contestants. I couldn't have dreamed that that moment would have led me down the path I've traveled in the last four years. I appreciate every person who has joined me on this journey: it wouldn't have been as wonderful without you. In case you wondered, I'm not done yet. There is so much more I want to accomplish, see and learn.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment