Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Not just another success story...

Some of you will recall that in another blog post I posted a picture of jeans I wore when this journey started and then a picture of jeans I can wear comfortably now. Several friends suggested to me that I should take a picture of myself wearing those jeans so I could have proof of the change I don't see when I look in the mirror.

I decided to take it one step further and wear the outfit I wore when I started on this path to fitness. I have the tank top I wore. I love the color and it makes a great sleep shirt, especially in the summer. I am living in an old house with wiring that won't support an air conditioner in my bedroom and besides that, if I closed my bedroom door my three cats would assume I was up to something and make sleep impossible. As an aside I would like to mention that even on the warmest days this summer I have not been horribly uncomfortable. I actually get cold sometimes now, still an amazing feeling.

I've been thinking about taking the picture for several weeks, but not doing it. I suppose a part of me was worried what putting on those jeans would be like. What if they weren't that loose? What if they still fit? Yesterday I decided it was time to stop obsessing and take the picture already.

First, the before picture:
Picture 1: January 2012




Next, the right now picture:
  
Picture 2: July 30, 2013


Notice, I didn't say Picture 2 was the "after" picture. I'm not at my "after" yet. I'm not sure what after will look like, but I know I'm not there yet. I am seeing muscles in my arms now, still plenty of jiggle, but the muscles are there and it's nice to see them. I can actually see muscles all over my body now that I didn't before and I'm enjoying that so much.

The strength is nice too. I can flip 475 pound tractor tires. I knew I could flip 350 pounds, but last Friday Ben encouraged me to try the 475 pound tire. To my surprise I could flip it. Yes, it was heavier, but nothing I couldn't handle. I am finding when my mind tells me I have nothing left to give in a workout my body finds that little bit more to finish what I've started. I've earned the body I have now and I'm looking forward to see where I am in July 2014.

So what else is going on in my life? As much as I try not to think about it and pretend it isn't coming: Tough Mudder will be here soon. August 10 to be exact. I alternate between thinking I'll be okay, this is just one more exciting challenge to meet head-on and wondering if it's too late to find someone to do this in my place. I want the confidence in myself to be able to smile and  say I can do this. For the moment all I can do is force a little smile and say "I can do this" without having my voice shake too much. At least I'm past the point where I think about this and tear up.

That's about it for now. I plan a post after Mudder to let you know what the experience was like.

Thanks for reading: back to your regularly scheduled life.


No comments:

Post a Comment